Monday, July 30, 2007

Canadian Days: How I Missed Out On Meeting The High Dials

One thing I am passionate about is music. I love rock music, and I collect at least one new album a month. But since I'm from a small out-of-the-way city I rarely have a chance to hear live music, and seeing one of my favorite bands on stage is even rarer. But since Toronto is a major metropolis that wields an enormous cultural influence in Canada I had plenty of opportunities to see my favorite bands. One such opportunity was Canadian Music Week, which is held near the end of winter in Toronto. When I was looking for gigs to go to in Canada I discovered The High Dials, one of my favorite Canadian bands, would be playing at the festival; and what was better was that they'd be playing at the Silver Dollar Club, a club not that far from the hostel.

The Silver Dollar Club was a small venue, and I thought I might have the chance to meet some of the band members. It wasn't an impossibility. At places like The Silver Dollar Club you can walk up to your favorite musicians and have a chat with them. They may be well known in the underground musical community but they aren't so big that they're cut off from the audience, unlike a major touring act, who you won't be meeting in the crowd because they'd get mobbed. When I was in London I met several members of The Church at The Borderline, a small club in the central part of the city. I even got to assist Peter Koppes (one of the guitarists) DJ at an after show party. It was an awesome experience because I got to meet the people who created music I loved, instead of just sitting around somewhere listening to the album. And here was another chance to meet one of my favorite bands.

I got to the club early because I didn't want to miss out on The High Dials. I came so early I had to come back because the person who was taking money wasn't set up yet. So I went across the street to get some coffee, waited a few minutes, and then went back into the club. When I entered the club the first person I saw was Trevor Anderson--lead singer and primary songwriter of the group--with the rest of The High Dials. Here was my chance to meet the man who had penned "War of the Wakening Phantoms," an impressive, eclectic album that I was listening to alot. But I didn't say anything because I figured he was busy getting his gear organized (which usually takes a long time to do) and probably didn't want to be bothered by an awe struck fan.

I had been admitted into the club an hour before the first band was supposed to go on. So I killed time by I sitting on a stool in boredom as I watched a band set up its gear on stage. While I waited Trevor walked up right beside me and ordered a beer at the bar. Here was my second opportunity to introduce myself and tell him how much I liked "War with the Wakening Phantoms." Again, I didn't say anything. Did Trevor really want to be bothered by a fan, especially when he's enjoying a beer? But maybe I was worrying about nothing? After all, it would seem like he would want to meet the fans; the very people who are making his living as a musician possible. Maybe Trevor would be glad to have a chat with me. Still I didn't budge.

Throughout the night this process repeated itself. I'd see Trevor somewhere in club, contemplate introducing myself, and then chicken out. Since I couldn't work up the courage to say anything to him I basically observed him consume beer after beer and overheard snippets of his conversations. Trevor talked about relationships alot, which I assumed were of the romantic kind. While I was observing all this I'd make up excuses why it was potentially inappropriate to talk to him. All sorts of worrisome scenarios would run through my head. Maybe the music was too loud and he wouldn't hear me speaking to him? Maybe the situation would be awkward because he doesn't know me? Maybe he'd think I was too obsessive about their music? Maybe he didn't want to be bothered with? After all, the man is trying to enjoy his beer. He's been drinking alot tonight too. Maybe he'll be too drunk to understand what I'm saying? He's talking to people about relationships. People in rock bands who talk about relationships don't want to be bothered by the trifling concerns of a fan.

Near the end of the gig a woman who was sitting at the bar said something to Trevor, obviously she had been impressed by their show and wanted to greet them. That's all I had to do, but I could never work up the courage to say anything to Trevor, and I walked back to the hostel angry and disappointed with myself. But as I walked on I came to my senses, and realized that what I was getting upset about was ridiculous.

No comments: